One Thousand Scents

Friday, November 23, 2012

Dirty Dealings: Montale Black Aoud


I guess I am the wrong person to be writing about Montale Black Aoud, because I can't tell if it's good or bad, if I love it or hate it. I don't know what's going on, in the bottle or in my nose. So let's look at it systematically:

Pro Con
  Lots of fresh and dried roses             Possibly too many roses (there is such a thing)         
  Real patchouli   Real stinky patchouli
  Labdanum   Not enough labdanum
  Oud   Oud
  Can clear your sinuses   Can clear the room
  Attractive bottle   Unattractive contents

It's very simple, almost simplistic: Rose rose rose, rank dirty patchouli that reminds one of insufficient bathing, medicinal oud, and a little dab of labdanum to try (and fail) to take the edge off all of that. It's tremendously interesting, though not entirely pleasant, and in very small doses it's contained, close to the skin, and perversely appealing. In larger quantities? A nightmare. I would hate to have dinner with someone who sprayed this with a heavy hand.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home